Today we joined 76 organisations from the disability sector calling for urgent support with the cost of living for disabled people.
The letter, which was sent to Rt Hon Jeremy Hunt MP ahead of the Autumn statement, calls for support for disabled households “in recognition that disabled people have been disproportionately affected by the cost of living”.
The letter goes on to call for the following actions:
- All benefits to be uprated at least in line with inflation in the Autumn Statement, as is the norm.
- A UK Government review of how benefits are set and increased, so people can always afford the essentials, and manage the extra costs that come with disability.
- Additional Winter financial support targeted at disabled households with higher energy costs.
- Consultation on an energy social tariff under the UK Government's commitment to develop a new approach to consumer protection in energy markets.
- All support to be promoted and communicated in accessible formats, including in BSL and easy read, and compatible with screen reading and magnification software, and to be available at the same time as mainstream formats.
Read the letter in full here.
You can also follow the campaign on social media using the hashtag #SupportCantWait.